Dementia Capable Care
Earn Dementia Care Specialist Certification
Comforts of Home – Care puts a high value on training. The people we care for deserve only the best of care. This means we provide many varied training opportunities for our staff.
Since 2013, we have been offering the well-known Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) to our caregivers through Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI). Now in 2017, we are making available Dementia Capable Care, a capabilities approach to caring for those with dementia.
The seven-hour Dementia Capable Care One Day Foundation Course brought to you by our Dementia Care Specialist Certified Instructors is flexible and can be adapted for many people in various settings. This course is offered to:
- Interested family members wanting some tools to help them relate better with someone close to them who has dementia.
- People who work in facilities who would like to improve their care approach to people with dementia
- Comforts of Home – Care caregivers
The Dementia Capable Care Course will help you develop:
- practical skills to make tangible improvements in caring for those with dementia
- greater confidence in your ability to deliver the highest standard of dementia care
What you’ll learn:
- Identify empowering paradigm shifts to create successful outcomes for those with dementia
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias and their impact on cognitive function
- Identify cognitive assessments and screening tools to identify Best Ability to Function
- Describe the best ability to function and key remaining abilities for each dementia stage, as defined by Allen Cognitive Levels
- Identify key care approaches for each dementia stage to promote the highest possible level of function in ADL, mobility, and leisure activity
- Understand strategies to enhance communication, minimize negative behaviours and support families.